Wednesday, September 15, 2010

This Old Barn






I've always been fascinated by old wooden structures. Those who are familiar with my art readily think of my railroad trestle work. While a major theme and interest of mine, it is not the only thing I consider in the broader perspective. I enjoy structures in each stage of their life, from the pristine to the decaying. Although there is a sense of loss and regret in seeing an old structure like this fall to ruin, there is a strange beauty which emerges. It is as if that structure, built from natural materials, is even closer to nature.

I feel that very soon I'll embark on a series of barns. One of my recent, ongoing ceramic pieces considers the idea of creating a scene of an old, wood-built warehouse, a harbor scene. It is this sense of commonality which I seek after; the pieces I create are from a similar era. They are industrial and agricultural in nature. Each barn, bridge, or other structure, while fulfilling a similar purpose, is each unique. That is, within each category, the variety is staggering. Like human beings, no two barns are exactly alike. The same goes for railroad trestles and so on. Each carries with them a very specific, personal history. It is as if each has a life of its own, from birth (construction) to death (decay-demolition-return to nature). Each structure influences and transforms its environment, creating a unique viewing experience.

1 comment:

  1. Hi my name is billy,
    i got to harrowway comunity school, i would like to use one of you picture in my school project if you have any objections please contact me on
    robinsonb@harrowway.hants.sch.uk

    ReplyDelete